1988 300zx, erratic, low idle, dies, backfires, black deposits buildup from exhaust

15

Asked by Apr 30, 2012 at 07:30 PM about the 1988 Nissan 300ZX

check engine light came on and off every now an then, then stays on at all times. started sputtering, has
low erratic idle, backfires sometimes. black discharge buildup above exhaust. dies unless I give it gas.
consuming large quantity of fuel. runs really rich. Replaced cap, rotor, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change,
problem still persists. Still need to buy spark plug wires. Not quite sure how to narrow the problem
down. -also, tachometer not reading unless car is warm. I rev car and pin barely moves. only over time
it starts working correctly.

1,025

sounds like you're running rich could have bad O2 sensors or pcm problem

60

I had same issue and the solution was the fuel pressure regulator. The diaphram in the regulator that actuates the pressure control needle valve developed a leak and it was sucking fuel directly into the manifold vacuum line. I replaced the pressure regulator and mileage went up 40%... They're not real expensive and even if it's not the whole problem, it's probably contributing to the 'too rich' condition'...

Best Answer
15

You are absolutely right, I changed that out, and discovered a crack in the vacuum line for the MAS. and shes runnin like a beast again