Fuel Injector issue

Asked by May 18, 2008 at 06:57 PM about the 1988 Nissan 300ZX

1988 300 ZX, technical issue:
The car as approximately 270,000 miles on it the car runs great and uses little oil between oil changes that are ever 5000 miles, I have used synthetic oil in it for the majority of the oil changes.  Recently the car has started to miss after driving approximately 15 miles.  The symptom has been identified as the fuel injectors going almost closed.  The computer and air flow sensor has been changed out and the same symptom appeared about the same time.  I and my mechanics are at a loss to identify the cause.  Anyone have any ideas? I don't know if these tests were done or not, it was difficult to get the car to show any signs until it had been driven for a while.  The issue with the injectors was detected by driving the car with an oscilloscope connected to engine, not sure how it was connected but the mechanic is very competent.  I'm about to offer the car as a parts car, it was and still is running great and uses 1 qt of oil in 5000 miles, I'd rather sell it as in good running condition.

15

I own a 90 300zxTT and I can tell you that the gas you use can cause the injectors to go bad. The ethanol that they are putting in gas now can ruin older cars, I know a guy who went through 8 in a couple of years. I use BP premium because I have heard it's the best.

295

older VG series motors have injector problems. some are under lifetime recall and the dealer does them for free. u should ohm out the injectors and get a reading i believe they should be between 12-14 ohms hope this help cause i had this problem with my maxima and 300zx tt and that was it everytime

3,585

Bad injectors are quite common on Nissans. As stated, check the resistance of the injectors. Also check the connectors, and make sure they are secure and not loose/broken. You could also have a tech plug a noid light to each connector to make sure they are getting a signal.

These connections are subject to corrosion in the connector chrome plated brass from heating and cooling turn green and mossy looking changing the pig tails and injectors will solve the problem use Di lectric grease on the connectors upon reassembly