I am having problems with the amount of gas flowing through the injectors, not sure if it is not getting enough air, or if the fuel pressure regulator has been damaged. i just got cap, rotor cables and new sparkplugs put in, any suggestions?

30

Asked by Aug 23, 2007 at 04:57 PM about the 1988 Nissan 300ZX

I am having problems with the amount of gas flowing through the injectors, not sure if it is not getting enough air, or if the fuel pressure regulator has been damaged.  i just got cap, rotor cables and new sparkplugs put in, any suggestions?

42,535

If it is carbureted, your problem could lie in the float bowl system, or internal to the carburetor. If fuel injected, the fuel pressure regulator could be bad, or perhaps an injector has failed. Either way, the tune-up should not be related to the problem unless something was accidentally damaged while it was performed.

What makes you think that there is too much fuel flowing through them?

210

I had a problem with my ZX dying when the weather was hot... once last year and four times this spring... acted just like vapor lock... once the car cooled down, it started. Further, its been running terrible (too rich) and I had no clue why. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing... no difference. I even plugged in a spare ECU box. Finally, just guessing, I changed the fuel pressure regulator... BANG... it ran PERFECTLY. Started perfectly... idled perfectly... ran on the freeway perfectly. AND its got more power and much better gas mileage. I couldn't believe the difference one part made!!! It had to have been dying for the last couple of years. I also saved a lot of money on the regulator by getting a good used tested one from Steve at 300zxpartsforyou.com. Always go there and check if he has what you need.