Can anyone identify a part that appears to be a fan it is located in roof of a 1986 300ZX?

Asked by Mar 22, 2011 at 06:19 PM about the 1986 Nissan 300ZX

This fan started making noise so I removed it and took it to the local Nissan Dealer and nobody there could tell me what it does.  It is located in the headliner of the car between the dome light and the reading lights.

40

hhhhmmm thats weird...why would a fan even be there.....idk i have the nissan service manual for my car...ill see if i cant find out what it is for you

40

ok found it...it is the in vehicle temperature sensor with an aspirator fan.....the fan pulls the air into a resistance value then input into the auto amplifier....it detects the temperature of the upper half of the body level....there is also one at foot level for the lower half of the car...it is for the auto temperature control system in the car....my guess is just replace it and itll be fine...so my guess is you have the digital model?.....man i love this book it tells you everything

Thanks for the info. You are right I do have the digital model. I bought it new in March of 1986. The next question is where do I find a replacement. As with most parts for the 1986 models the part has been discontinued. Also where did you get the manual that has that much information. I have one manual but it didn't have that information. Thanks again, Jade

40

i got the manual from the guy that originally owned the car..its the service manual the technicians used back in 86...it has all the info for both digital and manual..auto and manual...sf gl and gll models and turbo and non turbo...and im not sure where to get them..might try amazon or something like that.....as for that part...i checked a few oem parts site..and they have it on the list but no part comes up so im guessing they dont have it...but there is always pick n pull i doubt many of those go out

40

ok i also found 2 different manuals on ebay...and they are not cheap but are definitely good to have..here are the links... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Nissan-300zx-Z31-Series-OEM-Service-Repair-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f087ea664QQitemZ270725457508QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Nissan-300ZX-300-ZX-Shop-Service-Repair-Manual-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58830bce7aQQitemZ380155711098QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

jade....I have the same problem. Did you ever find the part? I also broke the cover to the darn thing.....

335

Thats the aspirator fan, or humidity sensor for the auto climate control

This is a dual function sensor,temp control being one, the fan if you remove the black cover youll see the fan wheel there are two magnets and a pick up underneath the wheel,these pick UPS feed a signal to the amplifier to make the compass work you can apply a small amount of 3in1 oil plug in fan w cover removed tap on alloy bar over fan till quiet. I did this on my z and quiet w working compass.

60

You can down load the FSM for that car off of a the website XENONZ31.COM

1,335

It is a micro fan for the climate control you have automatic climate control. The hvac will not work w/o it you can clean and oil it and it will hush

1,335

See my video on YouTube for compass calibration. 300zx compass calibration