should my 1986 300zx feul regulator be replaced

45

Asked by Jan 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM about the 1986 Nissan 300ZX

i have a 86 300zx that is burning way to much gas and every now and again i smell gas at first start up my fix it guy says replace the computer others say its the feul regulator or o rings i would like to enjoy my car but am afraid to now as i dont know what i can do

7,125

if you are unsure, take it for a second opinion, ask some friends who they recommend, sometimes "fresh" eyes are the best. I find this works best if there is any uncertainty. and a second opinion never hurt anybody.

44,575

Agreed, I would not think the computer would be the problem right off the bat, and it would be cheaper to replace injector o-rings and fuel pressure regulator than to replace the computer. Find another mechanic and ask them. Don't mention the suggestion of the first mechanic, have them go over the car and see what THEY come up with. That way they're not tainted with the preconceived notions of the previous mechanic.

It sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Check all hoses and connections.

Pull vac hose from fuel pressure regulator and while running if defective fuel will leak out on its own,these cars are notorious for corrosion at electrical connections, tps,maf,coolant temp sw