Volvo 740GL Wagon

Asked by May 28, 2008 at 04:57 PM about the 1989 Volvo 740

I have heard about a Volvo 740 GL wagon, always garaged, with all records, one owner, with 310,00 miles. Is this too many miles for this engine and all mechanical systems?

3,575

No. It's European, not American. It's normal.

43,535

310,000 is a lot of miles for any car. You may find that things will start to go bad which may cost $$$ to fix. Plus it is almost 20 years old.

15

Our 740 has almost 500,000 miles on it, and it's still going strong. With good maintenance (like it sound like your vehicle had), they last a long time.

670

the old volvos run forever how much for the car? if you dont buy it i will

55

he he he you can drive that car a lots more...( i work with volvo cars...junk yard).....and i own 3 volvos to....he he

35

My 1986 740GLE Wagon has over 300k on it with the original engine. We had to replace the tranny because the car had been sitting for a year before we bought it, so all the fluids had messed everything up. The previous owner drained the Engine Oil but didn't think to drain the tranny oil :-\

4,845

For the record The Ford 2.3 and the Volvo 2.3 are almost identical. Nothing wrong with American.

4,845

There really is no such thing as too many miles on old Volvo's. These cars last forever. Even after 20 years here in New York where the roads are salted, you are hard pressed to find rust on them. The transmissions last around 300k, longer if they were maintained. The red block 2.3 engine is indestructible and will do 500k miles. I have looked at the internals of these engines with 250k+. In my eyes the 240/740/940 series were some of the most reliable, durable, and safe vehicles ever made. Not to mention if something does break... these are by far one of the easiest cars to work on. Trouble spots on the 740/760: -Fuel Pump/ Fuel Injection Relay -ECU (Computer, specifically the pink labeled Bosch models) -Radiator, the transmission cooler inside the radiator will deteriorate over time and the fluids will mix. I reccomend using an aftermarket transmission cooler and bypassing the one in the radiator. 20 years of coolant and water will kill any metal radiator. -Erratic speedometer (caused by faulty/old wiring underneath the car at the speedometer sensor... located on the rear differential)

95

My Volvo has 310,000 on it and runs like new.

100

I love, love, love my old Volvo's!! I never had any problems with them and they are by far the best vehicle as far as lasting for a very long time. I also had three different hand me down Volvo's and had over 400k on my last one which was a 740 wagon. It is a very reliable vehicle and so safe!!!! I cannot express how much I love my Volvo's!!! Also, the cargo area in the wagons is REMARKABLE!!!!!

My Volvo 745 has 418000 miles on it and it looks great (a couple of small blemishes) and runs great. Due to a recent company car and kids off to college and heading to cities where cars are not necessary, I am thinking of parting with it. It is too bad that folks look at the odometer, since if it is maintained well, they run forever. I have owned mine since day one and have every service record. If anyone is interested, let me know at bzaf@maine.rr.com