Do you think a 1982 Volvo 240 S with 192,937 and a price of $1500. is a reasonable car to get for my 21 year old son living in Vermont?

Asked by Feb 14, 2015 at 05:55 PM about the 1982 Volvo 240

I am not sure of much except that it is owned by a family with many young children and
they can't fit them all anymore.

That's a roll of the dice. Any car, and Volvo is a well engineered car, but pushing 200k and 33 years it could go another 50,000 or become a money-pit from day one. I realize that answer is not much if any help, but it's just too unpredictable

I was worried about that. I unfortunately just traded in a 2009 Impala with 90,000 miles that was running into constant repair problems but at least I knew we were the only drivers.

71,705

Unless your Son is into classic cars I'd say get him something newer. This Volvo is an antique to him. If he has a job or is in school maybe use the $1500 as a down payment on a car. Many smaller used car lots do buy here/pay here. If he can afford a small car payment this might be an excellent opportunity to get your Son started toward a good credit history. Be sure to do your homework on anything he's interested in. You'll want to run a vehicle history report such as Carfax and have your mechanic look over the car. You can also have the car professionally inspected for around $150.00. You can get good deals at these little car places but you can get burned as well. So as I said, do your homework! HTH. -Jim

655

The engine and transmission in the Volvo will probably run forever, but everything else (A/C, electrical, fuel injection, etc...) will need constant attention and lots of money. If it has any power accessories (windows, cruise control, sunroof), then RUN from this car.