How much is this 1979 Mazda rx-7 worth?

Asked by Jan 16, 2013 at 08:40 PM about the 1979 Mazda RX-7

The guy is selling it for 750 dollars, and it is in good condition for how old it is. There is one exception though. It rotary engine that is seized up, but the seller is including another engine that works with it, all it needs is to be put in. I have the tools and stuff to do it my self, I just want to see if that is a good price for that car. I don't have a picture of it right now unfortunately.

5,165

The engine included will be 'status unknown' until you install it or get a compression test done, so 750 is a fair price for the combination. Personally I would rebuild the engine prior to install.

5

I paid 800 in 1993 for an 82 good condition with running engine if that gives you an idea on what they are worth.

5

750 isn't bad however if there are problems with the spare engine it could be expensive. the 1979 has the 12a not the 13b engine so be aware that it is almost impossible to get new rotor housings and rotors for it and its even harder to get second had ones that are woth putting into a engine. The 12a is carby'd so you will need a good mechanic who knows his was around both a carby and a rotary otherwise you will be forever having problems with it cold and stalling at low RPM.

5,165

The Nikki carb is pretty much bulletproof, just get a kit and clean and rebuild it. I never had any issues with my SA22C except when the float needles in the carb were worn and the float bowls would overflow straight into the venturis. Running rich was an understatement indeed. The transmission of the FB model will fit as a replacement for the original if you swap over the tail housing and if you properly overhaul the engine it should last you at least another 100k miles before it needs a new teardown and overhaul.