Why won't 85 RX-7 cruise at steady speed?

5

Asked by Jul 23, 2010 at 12:59 AM about the 1985 Mazda RX-7

Why would an 85 RX-7 not want to cruise at a particular speed with no load.  Mine wants to either pull or coast, but it just will not cruise at a steady no load speed on flat ground.  Even with the cruise control on, it does the same thing.  Any clues?

3,715

Cars only keep a steady speed without any throttle going slightly downhill. If the cruise control light comes on but it doesn't work you'll probably need a new cruise control module.

5

No. I mean with throttle applied. I cannot maintain a particular speed without the car lurching. If I hold my foot on the accelerator at a specific spot and do not move it, while traveling on level ground, the engine will not maintain a steady rpm. It will pull to the point that it should just hum along nicely, then drops off until the car slows down enough that it pulls again, and so on. It runs fine otherwise, and cruise control works good, too, the engine just will not maintain a smooth cruising speed for some reason. I was hoping this problem was common and that some of you more experienced fellows might know the reason why.