Engine Smokes

Asked by Oct 14, 2009 at 02:04 PM about the 1986 Mazda RX-7

When I start my car after it sits for a couple of hours it smokes alot.  After it warms up a bit the smoking stops until it sits for 2 or more hours.  What is problem?  Can car pass smog test?

15

t might be water evaporating from the radiator

Small amounts of smoke is normal but the thing to check for is the colour of the smoke and whether or not it smells "sweet". Might pay you to get a hydrocarbon test done so check for coolant in the emissions which could be caused by the dreaded water seal failure. but yeah it's usually water evapourating so don't worry too much. :)

15

it sounds to be a coolent seal that is starting to go. i would get that checked, do an oil change and see if there is any coolent in the oil. if so time to rebuild. if not try flushing the radiator and use new coolent and see the results. if the smoking keeps happening it must be a coolent seal starting to fail.

55

it could also be your o-rings between th intake and block simple fix