1987 mazda RX7

Asked by May 15, 2011 at 01:00 AM about the 1987 Mazda RX-7

hey guys and gals, i just bought a 87 RX7 and the guy i bought it off of said its only running on 1 roater i.e only half the engine lol also if it stalls its a bitch to start back up, im not really familier with the roatery engine so if anyone can help me out what you might think it is like easy fix something hard would really help me out like i bought the car for 350$ lol so i cant really go wrong but any advise would help thanks
-James

5,115

Hey James, you might want to have a compression check done before anything else. The running on one rotor only can be caused by any number of things, if you want to eliminate the easy to fix causes you can check for spark on both rotors to eliminate the ignition by using a timing light. Fuel injectors can be heard opening using an automotive stethoscope. If you've got fuel and spark on both rotors it should be able to run on both, that's where the compression test comes in, it can tell you the condition of the rotor seals. Most likely you will have low to no compression on one of the rotors and will need to rebuild your engine. Hope it's something simple like a messed up injector or coil, but I'm not counting on it... FSMs for the FC3S can be found on http://www.rotaryheads.com/PDF/2nd_gen

125

good rebuild deals at atkinsrotary.com

25

you can find another s4 really cheap. check craigslist!