305 or a 350 motor an put it into a 1989 mazda rx7 is it possible and what all do i have to change to put it in? ive seen it done but im not for sure on what all needs to be done to put it in.

15

Asked by Jan 26, 2013 at 08:45 PM about the 1989 Mazda RX-7

5,235

The question is why you'd want to put an inferior engine in a car that came with the best engine package ever? The Wankel rotary engine can outrun any V8 with the right tuning. My opinion is that if you want a V8, buy a car that came with a V8. But if you want to go down this road you'll need an engine with all the ancillaries, transmission, radiator, prop shaft, exhaust and a whole lot of time and fabrication skills to shoehorn it all in.

885

First off, because people often underestimate these builds and I've done my share of engine swaps, you are looking at roughly $5-10K for this. Even if the parts only cost 4K or 6K dont be fooled, there will likely be hitches, and those take time and money. The easiest way for you to do this particular swap is to check out grannysspeedshop.com. They have "bolt on" kits and it will mean less fabrication (and it'll probably be cheaper and better built). They will also have the tech support to help you with your build. The biggest problem by far in this swap will be your wiring but I think grannysspeedshop gives you wiring diagrams for the swaps as well. Good luck on everything, you didnt pick an easy swap but it will look sick when its done. hit me up if you have questions, this is one swap I have never done but I'll answer as best I can.

215

It is possible, some drift RX-7's use the LSX line up

805

buy a car that is made for an engine like that. the amount of modification and cost you would be into tin my oppinion would not be worth the work and the car would not handle well.