I have an 89 rx7 1.3 liter turbo, brand new motor, blew a radiator hose and immediately shut the car down and replaced hose, now car wont fire, has been sitting for a couple months. What could be the

5

Asked by Jan 24, 2012 at 02:12 PM about the 1989 Mazda RX-7

please help, I dont exactly have this car yet, I am buying it for my husband, this is his dream car
and it is a surprise, really want to have it running before he gets it.

4,765

Check for the basics: fuel, air, spark. Do you have the ingredients for combustion? Are all the wires hooked up corrrectly? Did you check the fuses for the fuel pump, injection system and ignition? Check whether the fuel pump is getting power and that it is pumping fuel. You might want to check the fuel pressure (should be between 34 and 40 psi). Low pressure could mean a bad pump, pressure regulator or simply a clogged filter. I normally assume that the injectors aren't at fault so I don't bother checking them at this point. Ensure that the air flow meter is hooked up right and that the pipe running between it and the turbo is properly seated on both ends. Check for spark using a timing light on each individual plug wire in turn. If any don't fire up check the wire first using a multimeter (should be about 16k ohm per metre of wire), if it's way above that, replace the wire. Check the plugs themselves for carbon deposits, damaged electrodes and cracked insulators and look if they appear wet and smell of fuel (this quickly indicates that there is fuel being injected and if they are very wet that it may be flooding). If you don't have spark you can also check the coil resistance (less than 1 ohm) by using an ohm meter across the small screw posts on top of the coilpacks (make sure the battery is disconnected for this), if the resistance is way above 1 ohm it's probably fried and you will need a new one. If it has been sitting for a while you might want to remove injection fuses at this point and squirt a small amount of engine oil into the combustion chambers (about half a teaspoon per rotor) and then turning it over either by hand or using the starter motor. This helps the apex seals to seal a little better and may free up a slightly stuck seal. Then put the spark plugs back in and try to start it again. If all else fails you will be needing to download the service manuals somewhere and go a lot deeper. Or you could simply check the RX-7 club forums online for more help. Hope some of this is useful to you.

5

Thank you. Now the car is over heating. Changed out thermostat, and now the top hose gets pressure, but the bottom hose doesn't and doesn't even get warm. Looked at the manual but no luck. Going to do a radiator flush next, any suggestions?

5

And the person who owned it before, looks like they put stop leak in the radiator, and it was all over the tstat. All goopy

4,765

Remove the radiator and flush both it and the rest of the system very well, do NOT run it like this at all or the engine will really overheat and get damaged. Make sure there's plenty of water-flow through the radiator before reinstalling it. You may want to replace the radiator as the rotary engine runs quite warm as is and the efficiency of the radiator can be badly compromised by the stop-leak goo (one of the many reasons not to use stuff like that no matter who recommends it as a quick short term fix). Koyo has OEM fit aluminium radiators for the 87-88 and 89-91 T2's which work better than the stock one if you plan on replacing it. I'm not sure whether the car has been modified at all but I would do a check of the small water hoses going to the rear of the throttle body to make sure they've not been clogged up either. If you need help on or answers about your RX-7 you might want to consider the RX-7 Club on the internet (http://www.rx7club.com) it has a large searchable forum and many enthusiasts that can definitely help you out with most problems.