'88 Cabriolet help

Asked by Jul 15, 2010 at 03:34 PM about the 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet

I'm having a hard time with my Cabriolet. I just bought it and it drives great for a while and then dies for no apparent reason. The car will start and run for about 30 seconds and then it stops. I love this car and I don't want to get rid of it. Any ideas?

255

I have/had the same problem with mine 1.8 GL, but it runs in idle ok for about 15-20 minutes. Then it starts to fail and then it stops. I take it to a specialized mechanic of golf gti and so last week. When I have news I tell you what the mechanic said or did...

20

sounds like the coil

55

I had a similar problem. If you hear any loud humming or high pitched noises then it could be the fuel pump. As odd as it was I swore my car had an electrical problem or something like that. It would idle for a bit but then it would die. The amount would be less if I had been driving the car excessively before I let it idle. I took it to get checked out and it was the fuel pump. Now I'm not an expert but if this is your problem and you hear those noises most likely that is the issue. If not best of luck. :)

10

I have spent months trying to figuer out why my 1988 volkswgen cabriolet jerks when hot and dies after serching online i hae found many people have this problem !!!! I know why if you look close on the distribtor you will see a coolent hard line that has a rubber hose that gose to the bottom of the coolent resavor that gets very hot the line gets the plug on the distribtor overheated and shuts down till it cools i wraped that line in a heat shilded fibergalss wrap i got at homedepo aswell as the distributor itself !! now the line was kinda bent after replaceing my cluch bent towards my distributor it looks fine but will over heat the plug on the distributor side I hope this helps some one out there every one said the replaced wires and fuel everything but still died when hot !!

Went threw this years ago change everything in fuel system ended up putting carb on it. then about ten years ago had same problem with cabby ended up replacing distibutor . the unit was not telling fuel circuit to stay on at higher rpms. most of the troubleshooting for system was found in library old dasher book with original cis injection system

also check your float box clean so it moves freely