Rattling happening in 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet?

Asked by Jun 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

When we drive the car, especially when going over a bump, there is this rattling noise
from under the hood or underneath. Could something be loose, or is this normal?
Thank you for your help!

sounds like the macpherson strut top bushings have gone dry...go to a shop that does shocks and they'll replace the old ones for minimal cost~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxbH24wpqVg

bushing top~

Best Answer
2,925

Could be the muffler or some cover, you will need to check

don't know Hector 1987 till now (26) years is plenty of time for the butyl rubber to surrender it's volatilizes to the atmosphere...in fact with that age...and that rubber would suggest replacement of all vacuum hoses with silicone rubber ones~

brake lines, power steering lines....these points of failure are endless~

2,925

You are correct but the thing is that the noise the suspension makes generally is not a rattle is more harsh like a bang or thump, maybe even a screech that's why I suggest to check other things too but every part made of rubber is a part that has to be changed. I have an 84 cabrio myself and had to change every part made of rubber to eliminate noises

none of these answers are correct: the exhaust shield / shroud has metal attach tabs that commonly wear & break, then you get rattling when you hit bumps ....I know I am 4 years late in solving this mystery ...