1987 vw cabrio has exhaust leak and convertible top leaks. How much would it run to fix these issues?

Asked by Aug 20, 2012 at 03:46 PM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

My daughter is wanting to buy a 1987 be cabrio that is listed with an exhaust leak and convertible top leaks. I
want to find out how much the repairs may run before she buys the car?

251,505

Exhaust leak might be just a gasket, maybe a muffler , or the whole exhaust because it is all rusted through. $50-$400 If the top leaks, you need a new top, no repair will do. A new top is $200-$400 on ebay, then you have install price. I would suggest to have the car inspected at a local mechanic or muffler shop to see what the extent of the leak is, and you might as well get the rest of the car looked at too, like brakes and tires and frame rust. You want your daughter to be driving a safe car.

Best Answer Mark helpful
140

This car is 25 years old. I agree that a mechanical inspection would be a good thing to do. As for the top. They are between $200 - 400 from someone like TMI. They are not hard to replace, but do take a weekend (would make a great father/daughter project), just look on a Cabby specific forum (like toplessrabbit.com) for instructions. There is a real good set there with lots of pictures. Having owned my '87 since new, I can confirm they are a great car to drive, easy to fix, and are safe to drive. Not to mention good on gas.