Should I buy a 1987 VW cabriolet? how good/ reliant are they? also rabbits. how hard are the engines to come by?

Asked by Mar 09, 2012 at 06:26 AM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

I DO want one, they're awesome- looking cars, ive become smitten with the entire VW old school lineup, from
old hippie vans to droolworthy Rabbits, to Siricos, I pretty much have talked myself into wanting one. badly.
Problem is, though, if i did bust a bit of cash on one, (theres one on craiglist for a grand in my area, probably
has problems) at the same time, there's several Rabbits with no engines in em. theyre a hot commodity, I
know, and was also curious as to how much of my leg id have to chop off in order to find one. PLease help me
out here! I know virtually NOTHING about these Beauties, and would love to know SO much more.

2,945

I do not know about the disponobility on engines on your area, but you can swap easily and mk3 engine in one of them with slight modifications on the accessories belt drive or using the original accessories and engine suspension.

I live in California. 1985 VW Cabriolet. 95 k miles. Always garaged or carported. Clean. Mechanic advises me to price @ no less than $3,000.00. Like new top. Minor paint blemishes. Runs well.

160

I've owned my '87 Cabriolet since new. I'd call it dependable. I also own an '88 I paid $1000 for. It was crying for help, but it was also a project car. I did an engine rebuild on it, only because I was redoing the whole car. It didn't really need it.