My cabriolet won't smog and I just want to sell it!

Asked by Jul 14, 2010 at 03:44 PM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

I bought my first car about 2 months ago, it was a red 1987 Cabriolet. I brought my grandfather with me since he knew something about cars and we gave it a go, we agreed it ran well and aside from some minor things (the doors having to be opened from the inside/ the AC didn't work) it was a rather decent car. We take it to get smoged and it fails. We take it to our mechanic who replaces the Cadlitic converter (did I spell that right?) so I finally get the chance to get the thing resmoged and it passed at 25mph but failed at 15mph. SO the offcial DMV smog guy tells me to drive it around for a bit, and I do, bring it back where in it fails BOTH parts of the test. I bought the car as transportation to work but I haven't even driven it that much. I learned how to operate stick in this car and aside from some stalling trouble in 1st gear, I handle it pretty well. I just want to get SOME money out of this car, is there anything I can do to GET this thing to pass smog, or anyway I can sell it right now? and could my crappy stick-shift skills have anything to do with it failing?

I assume that you're in California. We have no smog requirement in Tennessee. How many miles does it have? How much are you asking?