cost of driving/maintaining 1987 VW Cabriolet convertible

Asked by Oct 11, 2008 at 06:07 PM about the 1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Have never had a car this old, but the price I think is right for the condition it is in: $2650 with no rust/scratches.  It is a 5 speed manual trans. convertible (top in very good shape) new tires, alternator and battery. Leather/fabric interior also in very good shape. Wondering what maintenance/upkeep costs will be like? Thanks

25

My sister just bought one of these. It will be our 4th VW in our driveway. Anyway, keep up regular maintainence and you will be fine. If you are not going to do the work yourself, find a local VW garage that will do the work for you. The dealer will rape you on charges.

155

the 1.7, 1.8 L VW engines are notorious for burning oil so be nice to it, otherwise its a reliable vehicle but the parts are pretty exspensive

140

I'm not sure where you get the idea that Mk I VW engines burn oil. On the contrary, they are considered to be Bullet Proof. The only week spot is the oil seal on the valve cover tends to leak over time. That's a cheap and easy thing to replace. I point to the 1987 Cabriolet and the 1988 Cabriolet that are resident in my garage. The '88 did have the engine rebuilt, but the car was heavily abused before I got it. But it never burned oil, neither has the '87.