why does my 1986 vw cabriolet idle very rough but has no power? WHen stepping on the gas it just dies. ;

Asked by Oct 03, 2012 at 09:26 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet

1,225

Check the timing for belt jump, and if it is a cis fuel injection a mixture (fuel air ratio) may be needed, this car is also equipped w a fuel pump cut off in case of oil pressure loss.( front of engine) oil filter housing top the one w two or thee wires. Test fuel pressure a clogged filter can give similar systems. Hope that helps.

Tom....dead on on the cut off for low oil pressure......I switched from 20w 50 to straight 50 ( as the manual calls for) and all is good.....except.....I think the Idle Boost Valve(s) may be a problem....... .....When I turn on A/C, full force mostly,....and sitting at idle, the thing drops to 2-300rpm. It would stall out at a stop light. Going to take them off and clean intakes, etc.......hopefully that will do the job...??? :>) Thanx for a great, short, definitive answer. RCB