Fuel tank

10

Asked by Oct 30, 2007 at 01:25 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet

I converted my 86 cabriolet to diesel and am wondering how the fuel lines are on the tank.  I am not using a electric fuel pump and my gas gage doesn't work.  I don't see where the supply line comes out of the tank.  Do I have to use the in tank pump?  Car was running fine on diesel than it started hesitating and it seems like it out of fuel but I can only get 8 gallons in the tank.

46,705

Probably the best thing to do would be try to find a used diesel pump. The in-tank electric pump is probably not suitable for diesel, as diesel systems usually use a transfer pump to build pressure, and an injector pump to deliver the fuel to the cyinders. Your tank problem is unusual...Perhaps there was residual gas in the tank that mixed with the diesel and messed up your injector pump.

10

The only problem with that theory is that I drove the car over 2000 miles before it started to act up and then that isn't even consistant. When I took out the intank fuel pump, one of the hoses was rotted away. Did it just lay in the tank or was it hooked to something on the other end? What is the other line for going into the tank(there is two of them)? Thanks for your help.

suply and return do as littlehornsays he is good,one question,why did you not change to a desil tank.

10

I converted a 1988 cabriolet to a 1.6L diesel and had same problem. I removed intank fuel pump and replaced it with a universal inline fuel pump before the filter. I purchase the pump from NAPA for $38.00. So now the inline pump fills the filter and the injection pump pulls fuel to the injectors. The car runs great with good power. Your injection pump maybe showing signs of wear and can not keep filter primed.