I have an 86 Cabby. I am having a problem with my fuel. I run empty and my fill up is about 9 gal. I thought these tanks were 14 gal. Need Help!!!! Thanks.

Asked by Apr 04, 2011 at 01:40 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet

1,565

That sounds about right 9 gallons or 35 liters should be the tank capacity on that vdub caddy if you want to squeeze a couple more gallons in it tho look inside the filler neck and you will see a small black knob sticking out if you use the nozzle when filling to push this knob forward after the tank is filled you can (slowly) squeeze another 2 gallons in it but I don't recommend doing this if your parking the car right away on a warm summer day as the gas will expand and this extra 2 gallons you put in will leak out. I usually fill mine till it the pump clicks once then push the knob in and keep filling it till its right at the top when I'm going for a long drive, when my 89 non turbo diesel is filled like this I can get 1100kms or 648 miles for 9 gallons/35 liters of diesel highway driving.

Thanks Jon, but I think I might have put caddy and I should have said an 86 VW Cabriolet. I don't know if this changes anything in regards to the fuel tank.

1,565

Yes I thought you did say vdub caddy, but the tank size should be the same for your cabrio the vehicles design are the same under neath, but you should be able to squeeze an extra 2 gallons in it as I described in my first post, have a look next you fill it up for that little tap/knob inside the filler neck.

Jon thanks for all your hep. I will do so.

10

I also have an 86 Cabriolet . Tank capacity is 13.7 US Gal, 11.9/1.8 reserve when the gauge reached the yellow warning mark. Perplexed why you are only able to pump 9 Gals in and then run out. I achieve approx 25mpg (300 miles) without any issue of running out. Take it in to a VW specialist to assess...

I was given a 1987 Cabriolet that ran out of fuel in a similar manner, after I got it and found a good VW mechanic, it was fixed. The problem was this, my 1987 has 2 fuel pumps: 1, inside the tank(submerged) and 1,outside (exterior), He was an ex. VW employee and knew exactly what the problem was, fixed it 2009. I drove it for 4.5 years parked it for 2 years, had to start using again, and it still works well after 6.5 years. Sounds like your problem. Hope it helps.