gas leak

Asked by Apr 17, 2007 at 03:11 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet

I have a 1986 Cabriolet that is leaking gas from around the area of the gas tank on the passenger side. It is not coming from the tank. How do you access that area. It seems very hard to get to.

3,095

You would have to drop the tank. It is probably a leak in the fuel sending unit, where the lines connect.

To check the fuel sending unit you justhave to remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the rear seat, lift the seat out, remove the screws in plate. The sending unit should be right there.

1,435

The filler neck rots out in those old Cabriolets, too.