How can I replace 82 gas engine with 81 diesel engine in my 82 VW Rabbit Convt.?

Asked by Feb 08, 2007 at 12:45 PM about the 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit

I have a 1982 VW Rabbit Conv. that has a blown gas engine.  I want to pull this engine and replace it with a 81 Diesel.  I intend to use an external (not stock) switch to operate teh stop solenoid on the injection pump, and also an external switch to power up the glow plugs to start with.  In other words, I don;t want to replace the wiring harness, fuse/relay panel, etc.  I want to leave all the wiring in tact and just use the external switches.  I am a novice, and my concern is frying my stop solenoid and/or glow plugs.  Can I run 12 volts straight to the soleniod and glow plugs?  I am thinking it would simply be a matter of supplying voltage to the glow plugs to heat the chambers, turn on the solenoid (allowing diesel to flow to the pump), then using the normal wiring to engage the starter.  When I am ready to stop the engine, I would turn of the power to the solenoid.  Is this going to work or am I just plain crazy?????  Eternal thanks to anyone offering advice.  New to game-Carma points????

30,115

hmmm, i think you are plain crazy.

65

I have an '81 diesel engine, and I'm doing a similar thing to it. You'll need a fuse from the battery to the glow plug, and the stop solenoid can be wired right to the battery without a fuse. I'd recommend a push-button type design for the glow plugs, so as not to leave them on, and a switch for the stop solenoid. I think this will work.

85

It is so easy it will make you laugh.... No need for removing much.... As for your Diesel INjection pump shut off solenoid.... HEY hook it up to the power wire for your old ignition coil!!!!!!!! You will have to change the exhaust and the TRANSMISSION! The gasoline tranny will rev the guts out of your diesel. Also you will have to install and under hood diesel fuel filter/water seperator assembly and change the fuel tank outlet. I changed an automatic 88 jetta over to a turbo diesel 5 speed, took me nine hours from start to finish, with removal of old gas engine included. VW's are very user friendly for this type of thing and it is really not that uncommon to hear of people doing this kind of swap!

200

for the glow plugs check out americanautowire.compart#500777 time delay module could be easily adapted to fit as a glow plug deactivation delay module instead of a momentary switch then just hooked into your ignition switch

200

another idea would be to hook the stop solenoid to the ignition switch so when you shut off at the key everything shuts off