1988 Vanagon running rough

Asked by Nov 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM about the 1988 Volkswagen Vanagon

My '88 Vanagon ( Pepper) runs rough sporadically. It will going along fine, then start running really rough. If you pump the gas a few times it will come back but then have a relapse.  My good mechanic has tried a number of things ( new computer, tune up, mass air flow chekcs out ok, etc.)  any ideas out there?

45

Im so sure it is the gas pump

295

First off, this is the worst place to ask mechanical questions. Everyone on here guesses. Don't buy a fuel pump. While it is running open the engine compartment and look on the left hand side of the engine compartment. The box in the corner with all the wires goin to it is the ECU. What ya want to do it hit the ECU with your hand while it is running. If it stumbles when you do this the solder joints have broken in there. It is very common, and can be very sporadic. If ya need more help I would suggest www.thesamba.com They have forums there and its all type 2 vw's.

10

Thanks Ryan I just tried that too - (not the problem) my 84 Westy has been acting up too - I replaced fuel filter - nope - fuel pump - nope - but i think it might be my front right fuel injector - that plug burns different then the others - BUT i don't know why - i get a cough or miss fire and the vans seems like it's going to die - then it kicks back in and keeps going.... at random times - sometimes she runs good for a while - it's weird But thank you for your response here - now i know one more thing about this VERY cool vehicle Steve Todey host, director, editor ExploringYourPlanet.com

20

My 90' Does the same thing! It sporadically will run rough under 3k rpms it shakes. some times dies. Any causes?

135

Check your fuel pump and fuel filter

10

i tested my fuel injectors (takes two people and 15 mins) and found one to be bad - i replaced it and so far so good

20

any info and how to test? Mine only seems to run rough when fuel gets between 1/2 and 1/4 tank Thanks

10

Why don't you clean out your fuel tank and treat the rust in the tank or get a new tank then replace fuel filter and if your fuel pump is stuffer replace that too and service injectors or get new ones. Been there done that.