my 87 vanagon just stsarted revving at 2700 rpm for no reason

Asked by Nov 29, 2010 at 03:32 PM about the 1987 Volkswagen Vanagon

i have an 87 vw westy it recently started revving high at idle to about 2700 rpm . what could the problem be

5

check that the gas cable works freely ( return) if it is carburated sounds like the choke is sticking, check antifreeze level

145

obviously there is a reason for this malady. beyond throttle cable, check throttle body operation - smooth open and close. check throttle position sensors [the 2.1 engine has 2 I believe]. check temp sensor II [on thermostat housing]. this is a very popular candidate for engine dysfunction.check O2 sensor - engine can and will run fine with it disconnected from green coax wire in engine bay left. hope this helps...

5

vw camper vans

20

Most likely your temperature Sensor II in black plastic housing mulfunctions or wire and wire connection is rusted. Check for continuity in wires.

There is something that can happen with the air flow meter--you get a track in the carbon that the needle traces, and it gives a faulty signat and causes issues at idle. Not sure if this matches the symptoms you're talking about exactly. My recommendation would be to sign up at http://gerry.vanagon.com/ for the vanagon list, ask your question on the list, and they will walk through it with you.