does my 1986 vw westfalia have an interference engine?

Asked by Mar 05, 2015 at 02:41 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Vanagon

My friend has a 1993 vw vanagaon and needs a new engine because her timing belt went
out and caused problems with her pistons. She was told she has an interference engine. I
have a 1986 vw Westfalia. Does it have an interference engine as well? Does it have a
timing belt that could go out and cause this problem also? It has the original engine in it.

Yes and Yes, it is interference. http://www.carpartkings.com and PartsGeek.com agree, I found out by looking at timing belts for 1986 VW westfalia and it has a timing belt that if breaks = major engine damage ...and mostly valve damage and sometime pistons also

4,855

Only if it is the diesel version would it have a timing belt. The 2.1L wasserboxer is chain driven internally, I believe.

1,555

The 2-1 Waterboxer has neither a chain nor a belt. It's camshaft is driven by a gear. No maintenance to do there. As noted above, the earlier diesel Vanagon is the only one that would have a timing belt or interference issues.