Reserve gas tanks

Asked by Oct 20, 2008 at 10:43 AM about the 1986 Volkswagen Vanagon

There are 2 ~1 gal reserve tanks above each front wheel.  One of them has begun to leak.  Can I remove it, put a "U" tube between the two bottom lines (assume one goes to the main fuel tank, the other to the other reserve maybe) and pinch off the tube that went to the cap device that was on top of the reserve tank (assume it has something to do with managing gas fumes)? I'm willing to live with the loss of the reserve but don't want to do anything unsafe.

55

i'm not so sure that i would remove it and put a "u" connecting the two fuel lines together. being that it's probably fuel injected, the chances of it leaking are far greater than it not. i would try to find a replacement tank or at least find where and how the tank is leaking before i would try to route around the problem.

50

Those are not reserve tanks, they're vapor canisters. You can get replacement hoses as a kit. Try www.busdepot.com or www.vanagain.com, and just to be safe, you should replace all fuel lines, the van is already 22 yrs old. And you could join the vanagon list, go to www. vanagon.com to get the instructions. A lot of wise people there.