1985 vanagan won't start when the ambient temperature is above 80 degrees.

Asked by Jul 02, 2013 at 10:38 PM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon

I can drive a short distance in hot weather, engine is not very hot, stop and try to restart and get nothing.  It's as if the battery is totally dead.  I wait until evening when the temperature is cooler and it starts easily.  I have a new battery, relative new starter and a semi new ignition.  Any ideas?

jim

19,725

A Vanagon that runs! Is it air cooled or water cooled?

water cooled

19,725

OK- Volkswagen has made some great cars- and some real losers- This could be said about every manufacturer I guess- so I'm not just picking on VW- I have a friend who is a VW mechanic and over the years I have visited him many times in his shop while he was standing in the back of a Vanagon up to his elbows in German spaghetti- I have always been impressed with the overly complex mass of machinery in the back of those cars, and the sheer number of parts, hoses, clamps, connectors, vacuum lines, etc. any one of which, going bad, could cause the car to stop. I can not give you much help on your question other than to say 2 things: I don't think it's the difference in outside temperature which makes your Vanagon act up- I think it's the difference in engine temperature AND: if you love VWs you should sell the beast while it still runs and put the money toward the best VW Van you can find; those old vans are going up in value because they are cool, reliable, simple, and cost effective- everything your Vanagon is not

2,705

Is the engine overheating? Does it crank? Doesn't it dies if you keep running or just when turned off?

A Vanagon is Fun to Drive!!! Old School Buses are not!