What's wrong?

Asked by Dec 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon

Now, if I drive non-stop. She'll run fine. Now,If I turn it off, it'll take about an hour to start it up again. She'll crank and all but won't start till it has cooled down, why?

155

you may have an air bubble; how's the coolant level? whether it's got the 1.9L or 2.1L odds are on the tempII sensor. it has a blue/green plug end. mounted on the water pump thermostat housing. relatively cheap and easy replacement. hope this helps so you and your handsome ride have a safe and happy holiday together and many more ...

check your hoses. if there is a small hole in a hose..it will expand as it gets hotter. contract when it cools.that was my mystery problem for about a year plus. good luck.