Odometer

Asked by Nov 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon

Does anyone have an odometer for sale?  I would also like to get a repair manual for this.

35

year and make...because i could have one

Sorry, I didn't list the make or model. I own a 1985 VW Vanagan. The odometer is not working, so I am not legal. The mechanic I saw was not able to get one. Can you help? Cheers

315

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1032595

Thanks Ryan.

485

I used to have an 85 Vanagon and the odometer went out at around 150,000 miles. It bothered me to not know but not enough to worry about it. Finally, about a year and about 20,000 miles later I finally broke down one evening and yanked the instrument cluster out. I just started taking things apart until I got to the back of the speedometer/odometer. I found that one of the gears had moved on its shaft and no longer engaged the other gears. I pushed it back into position, rotated the speedometer cable connection and the odo sprung to life. I put a tiny dab of nail polish where the gear and its shaft met and let it dry for an hour. I put it back together and it worked!! I put another 100,000 miles on that van and never had a lick of problem with the ODO again.