replaceing 1.9 engine with 2.1

Asked by Oct 11, 2007 at 03:22 PM about the 1983 Volkswagen Vanagon

I have an 83 Vanagon, replaced 1.9 engine with a with 2.1 seller said it was a direct fit wouldn't have to do anything  special.
I haven't been able to get it started ????? ANY suggestions?????

42,935

Sounds like something isn't hooked up correctly. The fact that you swapped engines doesn't necessarily mean that it was done right, I would go over all your basics again -- is it getting fuel? Spark? How is the compression? Did the engine run before you put it into the vehicle, or was it an unknown-origin junkyard engine? There's something here you're missing...