gas mileage 82 vanagon

5

Asked by Feb 05, 2010 at 04:18 PM about the 1982 Volkswagen Vanagon

do you know what the factory mpg rating was on an 82 vanagon 2.0 aircooled, automatic

45

Realistically you can expect 15 to 17 mpg, depending on how you drive it. My '81 gets 23 mpg, but that has bigger wheels and tires (higher gearing), is a manual transmission and is only run on premium fuel. Also those are Imperial Gallons here in Canada (4.4 litres as opposed to 3.8 litres in a U.S. gallon) I found the few times I did run regular (87 RON) the mileage suffered along with performance to the point where it's actually cheaper to run premium (91 or better RON). If you plan on trying to maintain 65-70 mph on the hwy you can expect far fewer mpg and the air-cooled engine just doesn't like it. However, you can run at 55 until the end of time no problem. I also run synthetic 20w50 oil.