1982 Volkswagen Vanagon engine

Asked by Jul 08, 2009 at 04:42 PM about the 1982 Volkswagen Vanagon

Hello, I have a 1982 Volkwagon Vanagon Camper that is leaking oil like crazy all of sudden..I believe its the head gasket.  
Also, I just took the oil strainer/screen off and there were little metal pieces in it. What are my options? I've worked on
cars before. Is there an engine that I can swap out that is compatible with the 2.0 air-cooled engine? Is it cost effective
to rebuild the original engine myself? Thank you!

255

the oil leake mostly come sudden from a broken sealingring on the metalpipes that are covering the valverods. you can fix that yourself with a book. there are not many engines you can swap,.. because of the air cooled engine. its a lot of work to put the waterhoses and the radiator in the front and to change electric for your instruments. in your case ,.. if affordable,.. i would think about rebuilding the engine what is not really a big deal. this engines are very simple and with some right informations and a book you can do it yourself. the 2.0L should be a "CU" block that is mostly identical with the porsche 914. what means for a rebuild that you can directly upgrade the engine with a 914 injection cam and 9,25 pistons. for the upper part you can after this easyli switch on weber carbs or 40s from delorto. the best thing would be to search a scrabyard for an old golf gti with injection cause its pretty easy to do this swap on the intake. after that you will not only have a better running engine,.. you should also gain arround 40 horses. hope i could help