ignition locked and cannot turn key

Asked by Feb 25, 2007 at 08:32 PM about the 1979 Volkswagen Beetle

On my 79 VW Beetle, the ignition is locked and cannot be turned. I have tried numerous times and are simutaneously turning the wheel which is also locked.
I have had the car for 10 years and this is the first occurence. Any advice

17,435

Hello, Because it still won't turn even when you turn the wheel, you may want to call a Volkswagen dealer or mechanic and set up an appointment. They may also have a few tricks that I don't know of for getting the car to start. Best of luck! CarGrrl

70

what was the fix? i have the exact same problem. Thanks, Curtis

10

Hi I have the same problem what happened with you car?

30

I needed a new key cylinder. A piece from old one was lodged in steering column. steering column wasn't replaced piece was just removed. It happen couple times before repair. I guess previously it wasn't lodge bad enough. I'd jiggle the steering wheel to get key to turn.

70

10

thank you. i appreciate the response!

20

Just completed a 2010 beetle in my shop,,,,, researched tech bulletins, tech line, and on line, all information was inconclusive, could not deal with the thought of the number of repeat failures, something is not right,,,,, also when the key will not turn, allmost impossable to remove lock cylinder. so here is what I did,,,,, sharpened a end on a straightened out paper clip, bent a short 90 deg leg on the sharpened end, about 3/32, and went fishing in the lock cylinder, pulled out, about what looked like ( 1/4 of a cotton swab end total), of pocket fuzz.I then took shop air preasure and blew out the lock cylinder,the key turns now, so the lock clinder could be replaced, but I feel that it was the pocket fuzz creating the problem, so if its not broke dont fix it. John Cooper Cooper's Car Clinic cooperscamino@yahoo.com . Let me know if this solves your problem

John Cooper, you're a genius! I was just hoping to turn the key so I could rteplace the lock cylinder, but your solution actually fixed my old lock cylinder.

5

This has happened a few times on my VW New Beetle. Each time I wiggle the wheel, while at the same time trying to turn the key. It'll take a while but will work. Takes less than a minute. Love my bug.