I have a 74 super beetle with a hesitation on exceleration any gear can anyone help

40

Asked by Jan 01, 2012 at 08:50 PM about the 1974 Volkswagen Beetle

sounds like the carb needs adjusting.

40

have adj. carb. and replaced carb. for new one also replaced dist.but still have hesitation tryed about everything STILL THERE

did you adj points in new dis.

40

Yes points are set at 16 just as repair manu. says to set them. Trust me i have tryed everything everyone has sugested and then some up and down on timing changed fuel jet everything runs find as lone as you don't excelerat hard

635

What kind of distributor are you running; vacumn advance or mechanical (009 style)?

40

removed vacumn replaced with new mechanical

635

I have used several mechanical distributors over the years and my experience has been they are great if you are running flat out all the time, but not so smooth while driving around town or in traffic. I have found the vacumn advance units are best for smoother throttle responses. I don't know if this is the problem you are having, but sure sounds like some of the hesitations I used to get. Good luck.

185

Check for vacuum leaks at the throttle positioner and EGR. Disconnect and cap off the whole thing. Make sure the air cleaner is not blocked also.

225

Could it have something to do with worn clutch disc?My sb is getting re built not too sure,how they should perform, its my first one i bought last summer and it started to leak oil after I got it running. .It's fuel line was blocked with rust coloured sludge which shot right out when i reversed pressured it with an air hose on a hot summer day. I was pretty dramatic it almost got the hose guy in the face.This car was stored for a few years.It's a '71.

1,515

if you are running a mechanical distributor like the 009, AND running a 34 pict 3 carb you will have the flat spot. the 34 pict carbs were designed to run with a vaccum distributor. they have a hole in the throttle plate that cuts down the vaccum in the carb at lower throttle settings. what this does is the mechanical distributor will advance requiring more fuel, since the carb will not allow more fuel at lower throttle settings you run into a lean condition and a flat spot. two options are to up the idle jet size. this will allow a little more fuel in. this helps a little, but will reduce gas mileage a mile or two. do the throttle plate mod, which is to take carb apart, take throttle plate and place a rivet, or solder shut the hole. this will allow more vaccum at lower throttle inputs and fix the problem. or option three (if you want) is to buy a carb such as the H30/31 carb. this does not have the hole and will work fine, or replace the mechanical distributor with the correct vaccum advance distributor.

What distributor should be best for my 34 pic 3 in my vw