1973 super beetle turns over, but doesn't start

Asked by Feb 09, 2011 at 02:14 PM about the 1973 Volkswagen Beetle

My little super beetle will turn over, but won't start. Sometimes she runs, sometimes she doesn't.....I started her this morning with starter fluid, she ran for 4 seconds and then stopped. Battery is fully charged, the starter is fine, she has fuel in both fuel filters (she has one extra coming directly from the tank) I just replaced the carb 6 months ago. When she runs, she runs like a champ. Out of ideas, frustrated and need some help! I have a sneaky feeling that is something absolutly simple that I just don't know about. Please help!

11,845

If it starts with ether you obviously have found your problem. :) Remove fuel line from carb abd turn over should see a good stream of gas come out - Catch it in a container and look at it for rust. Put a pressure gauge on fuel pump should see 6-7 inches of vaccuuum and 4-5 lbs of pressure If not Fuel Pump. The gas tanks also rust from the inside on these may be floating rust inside the tank

1,615

after you check the fuel lines like mentioned above, if you have a good stream of fuel and pressure is ok (anything above 2.5 pounds is ok) then pull the top off the carb and look inside the bowl. if the bowl is empty (or very close to it) the needle and seat valve is stuck. that's the big brass looking plug on the bottom of the carb top. it has a brass looking stick that comes out the middle of it. you should be able to push the stick in very easy, and it should fall back out very easy. if it sticks at all it's bad. also, when you replaced the carb you did break down the new carb and clean it out really good didn't ya??!! this is a MUST on ALL carbs! from the factory they have all kinds of junk inside them!!

65

take the breather off look inside for the choak butterfly it should only be open about a 1/4 inch if it is not the open then open it a little by hand and then start it. could also be the heater on the choke is not pulling it open as it gets hot,