Why does my 1972 Beetle keep cutting out?

10

Asked by May 08, 2014 at 06:49 AM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

I've recently bought a VW Beetle. Unfortunately I can't get the thing to go! She will drive
for about 2km to 5km max, then it feels like the accelerator has no power behind it.
Shortly afterwards, the car will die. If I leave it for a few minutes, I can start her up again
and drive another 100 meters.

To try and solve the problem, I have recently changed the Fuel pump, vacuum, starter
Motor (it wouldn't start at first) and lastly the Idling Jet.

I ensured that the fuel lines are away from anything hot to prevent a vapor lock.

I would appreciate any help on this. I am a student and this is my only form of
transport, so I need her going. If you would like to contact me directly, my email is:
jasonecho0@gmail.com

Thank you!

10

Hey there all. I finally figured out what was wrong with my beetle. It had to do with the fuel going into the engine. If you take a look at your fuel tank, you have a rubber tube leading to the underneath of your car, which joins up to a long metal pipe, which then joins back into a rubber tube and leads to the fuel pump. The steel tube Had a huge amount of gunk blocking the fuel like. I took it to a Mec and had it blasted out using a pressure cleaner. If any of you are having a similar problem, i would highly recommend getting this done. A proper cleaning of the fuel tank might also be needed.