Continuing progress on my '72

100

Asked by Apr 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

One Wed 2-24-13 we ran all new high pressure lines to the aftermarket oil cooler and oil filter, scrubbed the engine and sheet-metal, reinstalled the engine, hooked up the electrical, and fuel lines. Hope to get the finishing touches on the engine on Monday. It will then be on to the shifter problem(s), emergency brake cables, etc.

93,675

Congratulations Mikey. It sounds like it's coming along nicely. You're going to be ready for the VW show season soon.

is the aftermarket cooler located above the troublesome number 3 cylinder yet?

100

Judge: The electric fan oil cooler is mounted to the the body, on the drivers side. I was looking at new ones online this AM. That's a pretty expensive upgrade!

yes mileyl, if this is the way it has to be, then this is the way it has to be, man....PROPER~~!

25,005

Mikey...Just curious...Did the eBay Seller actually come through and provide any funds for repairs as he promised??...you never did say.

mikeyl what have you done for passenger comfort, gave up my '61 cause it had thrown a rod, and the oil pressure light came on while crossing up the dublin grade out here in the Bay Area, CA, and I chose not to repair it, much as in love I was with the wolfburg crest (used to deface the school with this) and the purely mechanical fuel gauge, just could not get beyond the passenger comfort on these things, they are in a sense relying on the seat bottom for passenger comfort, definitely no the squishy matressy ride of a Lincoln, more like a go-cart, or MINI level of comfort~....now I got a MINI...that'll teach me to complain~

my car stereo installation caused a fire that I could not put out 'till the next exit, on the Nimitz fwy~

barring the pollution signature, which is about 600 more smoggy than a Honda thought these were groovy, owned at least nine of them a squareback with two carburetors, the "automatic stickshift" which was absolutely unique to these and kinda taught non-stickshift drivers to kinda learn stick, in a one cheek on the pot sort of dumperee~

100

Racer_X: The former owner suggested I keep records of all expenses. Says he will pay something. He lied to Kari and I both so much on the phone, I have no confidence he will pay anything. I'll send him copies of invoices when the Lion's share of this work is done.