I need to fix a 1972 super conv, anybody knows if a 1971 frame could fit?

Asked by Sep 12, 2011 at 02:41 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

My main question is about the side arms, mines are totaly destroyed by rust and I need to replace them but due the fact that anobody sell them as a part I need to find out if early years (1972 and older) the side arms are the same length and measurings, I noticed that in the 1972 super the mounting brackets of the whole frame are diferents from the other years but I was thinking if I can found a decent top frame ant remove the side arms and place them in my frame, I'm very good with steel fixings and I'm sure that I can do the job but I don't want to ended up with a frame that the side arms doesn't fit.
Till today I was not able to got with a 1971 o early model to check the measurings.
If anybody knows I really aprecciate the help

1,515

Don't really understand what you are calling side arms. If you are talking the convertible top parts, the 71 super and.72 supers are the same. 73 they changed. And supers are different than standards,

Yes I'm talking about the top frame, the side arms are the part of the frame where the front wood bow is mounted, those parts are totally rusted and perforated and are no good to mount a new bow and the top again, I want to replace only those parts because is impossible to find a 1972 super top frame!!! My question was about if another years has the same side arms measurings? (NOTE: I can't just replace the front plates, the rest of the arms are too damaged) Thank you (c:

1,515

You will have to find 71 or 72 super parts. In 73 things changed. Also the standard bug is different

225

Go to chuck's convertible parts.Call him he is very knowledgeable and you will find your answer.He specialises in vw classic roofs.He is based in Virginia USA I do not have his # handy. Joseph.(New vert.owner)

I already contacted him, he will send me the front 12" side arms to replace my dameged ones, He explain me the diferences, is amazing how to the not trained eye all the VW conv., looks a like. Thank you to all you guys (c: I will post the progress....

www.mamotorworks.com