72 Beetle G Light

20

Asked by Mar 27, 2011 at 04:11 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

Just bought a 72 convertible and the G light is staying on.Is this an alternator light?
The light only came on going to work after 15 miles with the lights on and didn't go on when I went home without the lights on so I thought it was no big deal.Does anyone know what's up?

1,695

that is the generator light. if it's on, you got problems. first need to check and see if you are actually charging! does your car have the stock generator, or has it been converted to an alternator?

20

thanks for reply. local auto parts store did computer tests.it was the generator.got new one and problem solved. another issue they can't help with is hot air is coming from vents on floor by my feet.closed vent and most of the air is gone but noticed hot air comes out of 2 round holes in bottom of back seat.they have no cover. is a cover missing to close them off?i live in florida and its like driving in a sauna

1,695

THe two levers between the seats control the heat system. One turns heater on, other changes air from back two vents to the two front vents and defrost. Bet that the cables that hook to the heater boxes are adjusted to tight so when u lower the handle the valve doesn't close all the way. Other thing to check is to make sure the valves on the heater boxes are not rusted out and broke

20

thanks for reply again. hot air is coming from drivers side and not passenger side.both levers are in down position and when i pull each one up seperately there is no change to either side.right one seems to be tighter than left.cool air not hot air is coming from defrost and under dash in center.bought haynes repair manual but can't figure out how heating system works.can the valves be closed and left that way since i would never need heat? i'm thinking that having the generator replaced and then having this problem is a coincidence.

1,695

you need to crawl under the car and make sure the heater box valves are closing. When u lift the handle in the car it pulls the heater cable. This cable runs thru the tunnel and under the car to the heater boxes. When the cable is pulled it opens the valves on the boxes. Either the cable is to tight, not allowing the valves to close when handle is down, or valve on box is stuck open due to rust or broken.

20

thanks again.i will take a look

20

cable was broke. thanks

Hey I have a Vw beetle 72 classic When I come to a traffic light or a sudden stop! My G light appears and the engine shuts off, the light was constantly on when I brought it I played around with the fuses under the steering wheel then replaced and the light came off, but still have the issue off it turning on at any sudden stops, My exhaust has a hole in it, that I have a new one on its way could this be the issue because of the 5inch hole !?