What should a 1972 VW Beetle sell for?

Asked by Jul 08, 2010 at 12:01 PM about the 1972 Volkswagen Beetle

Hi, I recently became interested in purchasing a 1972 VW Beetle that has been
sitting out on the road for some time now. It appears to be in pretty good shape,
and the owner claims to have recently changed out the spark plugs and wiring, in
addition to putting in a new sound system.
However, they are asking $3600.00 for it.
While this is a vintage car, does this seem a bit pricey? I'm no expert, I figured I'd
ask though.
It also has no AC, and living in Arizona where it is currently 110 degrees as I post
this it may be an issue. Does anyone know a trustable source to purchase an AC
unit for this model of car?

I think it is overpriced $2000 would be about rite I think

the price of these cars really depends on the location. here in oklahoma that car would be a steal at 3600, but in arizona/california it's a 2000 dollar car tops. unless the owner has documentation to prove a restoration, new motor, or other major work done to the car. vw never installed a/c from the factory. there were dealer installed units, and there are a few places that make aftermarket a/c systems for the vw. personally if i were you i would look on thesamba.com. they have a classifieds section that has tons of cars and you usually will find a better class of car there. also there is a lot of help in the forum sections.

A/c puts a load on the engine. This car was made in 1972, a/c was not an issue. I purchases a1972 Beetle and restored in A-1 condition I will have $3000. And I mean A 1 condition , and it has auto transmition.

You have all missed the point. A 45 year old car is not to be compared with today's automobiles. It is history. To some it was their first car. You drove to school, job, on a memorable date. Relive it, restore it. Do not put a value on what made you as you are today. AND, most of all, the enjoyment of making amends for selling/giving it away will bring back those joys!

I have a 1972 Volkswagen beetle that I would like to sell. It was my husband who had plans to restore it, but he passed away on August 30 and I will never fix it. It's in good running condition, has a new windshield that was replaced and new running boards that's still in box. Asking $1500 but will negotiate. I'm in North Carolina and can be emailed at read18@att.net with your name and telephone number if interested. Peaches54

I'm interest where your are located at