I don't understand how the levers work on my 71 bug. Plus how do the 2 knob on the dash work, and where do I turn on the electric rear defroster.

Asked by Feb 16, 2017 at 12:49 AM about the 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

I have 2 levers by the E brake. How do they work?
I have 2 knob on the dash, how do the work?and last I have an electric rear defrost with the tiny
wires, can't find the on off switch?

21,955

Is the bug a baja? the two lever sound like turning brakes/tractor brakes, they are pulled one at a time when turning, if that is what they are?? don't know i am not looking at them but if so, the one on right is the right rear brake and the one on the left is the left rear brake, They work in a few ways for driving offroad or street if you know how to use them. Say you going straight you can pull the right one slowly and the car will start to turn right and same for left turning left, or can be pulled faster to turn faster and can be used as in sorta drifting, or if in mud and turning the front wheels do nothing then you can use the ttractor brake for which ever way you want to turn. If they are the turning brakes, you do no know how to use them and do not try it out in a area where you could hit stuff or flip over or have anyone else in the car. Watch some youtube videos or get someone to show you how to use them. Can be a tremendously tight turning radius. Pic below of some new one but if yours are old then they look it too.

21,955

take some pictures of the knobs and post.

1,730

the two levers by the e-brake are heat controls!!!! take picture of dash and post it