I have replaced all of the brake shoes and installed all new wheel cylinders and have adjusted the brake shoes out to contacting the durms. I also have replaced the Master cylinder and have been been

Asked by Jun 18, 2012 at 04:29 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

I have replaced all of the brake shoes and installed all new wheel cylinders and have adjusted the brake shoes
out to contacting the durms. I also have replaced the Master cylinder and have been been bleeding the brakes.The
problem is that the rear brakes take hold, bur the front brakes do not grab.I have no air coming out at the bleeder
valves only brake fluid. What could be the problem? Is it a bad master cylinder? or something else? Thank you for
any help you could offer.

725

does your front brake calipers have pins? if so use some grease on the pins and put them back in. if the pins dont move freely then your brakes dont work right.

675

HI Did you check the power equal valve .Its just below the master cylinder .What it does is Devy ed the power from front n rear.It can b plug n not letting the pressure go to the front . Good luck

675

PS. The 71 beetle has all drum brakes. If the power valves been replace .Then only thing left is to take the front lines off from both ends n check to see if they are plug bi bowing compressed air through the lines ore replace them they could b 40 or so old right . again good luck. Lionel

5

yup .. had the same problem with my 69' .. replaced all of the brake hoses .. they looked fine . no air bubbles . just could'nt get fluid thru them ... should have replaced them right off , so , after days and hours of toil and trouble got new hoses .

1,755

my suggestion is that u should drain all the old fluid and change it with a new one and also check the proportional valve which divide the brake fluid cause sometimes rust blocks it causing this kind of problems !!