1971 Engine blowing oil into breather... causing car to miss and backfire after about 20 minutes. Anyone know if there is a temp fix for this until I am able to buy a new engine?? PLEASE HELP

Jamie Langlois
45

Asked by Jul 09, 2011 at 10:22 AM about the 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

Car starts fine. Car runs fine, sounds great. After about 20 minutes of running driving begins to miss, backfire and then thats it.. stall. Any help in even a temp fix on this older redone engine until I am able to afford a new one to put in, this is for my soon to be 16 year old soon and he really wants to drive to school this year which is only about 15 minutes away. After the oil smoothers the breather (which is what I assume from what I see is happening) you have to let it sit a day or 2 before it will run again. THANKS ALL and any input is appreciated!!

Chris Billings
1,495

let me see if i understand this correctly. when you say "breather" are you talking about the air cleaner? if so, i take it you have the stock hose running from the generator stand (oil fill stand) up to the air cleaner. have you had any work done on this motor recently? there is a deflector plate that sits under the generator stand with fins in it. these fins are supposed to keep oil from being slung up the hose and into the air cleaner. this may be installed backward or even NOT installed!! this may help. another thing you could try is to buy an oil breather kit. this is a small box that usually mounts to the firewall. it has hoses that run from box to each valve cover, and to the stock oil fill tower. this keeps any oily mess from going to the carb since it's not connected to it anymore. you can run this box without connecting it to the valve covers.

Midlothiangrease761
0

My 1971 bug was doing this and I found low compression on 2 of the cylinders. The cause of the low compression was broken rings and ring lands. This caused excessive crankcase pressure and oil being blown up into the oil filler neck and out the breather hose. After the cylinder repairs it was OK.