car wont start

5

Asked by Dec 08, 2010 at 07:04 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

Drove the car home Ont. to Nova Scotia some times it needed to be pushed to start but not always. After getting home went to move the car and it would not start, so we towed it to get it started and it did go, drove it into the shed to work on it, since then I cann't get it to start have rebuilt the carb there seems to be gas, new coil condensor and points and checked the spark plugs it looks alright but still wont start have checked the timing 2 or3 times nothing maks sense any more.Has anyone got a sugestion.

5

It's a 1971 Beetle standard model

1,655

start with checking voltage at the coil. should have 12 volts to the positive side when the key is on. have somebody crank the engine while checking voltage. if the voltage cuts out when the key is turned to the start position, the ignition switch is bad. if not, then you need to check voltage at battery while cranking the engine. if voltage drops below 10.5 volts either your battery is bad, or you may need to add a start relay. all this is after you check to make sure you have spark at the plugs while cranking motor.

5

Thanks it was the terminal on the top of the altenater the car had been sitting for ???? years and there was a layer of sorts stopping the current from reaching the coil on checking it showed up.Cleaned the terminal and it started.