won't start all the time

Asked by Aug 31, 2009 at 10:42 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

What would make my bug not crank after driving & turned off? It does it intermittently. You can charge the battery or boost it off, It will crank fine. I checked the battery while running and it read 13.9. I thought the seat may have been touching a battery cable, so I tilted the seat, and it did it 1 out of 4 times today.The battery is less than a year old. I had a new generator 12v put on, but it's still going on. I'm really baffled.

365

Wiring and loose connections? Starter solenoid sticking/not engaging?

455

Beetles have starting trouble somtimes when they get a hot starter. They hold a lot of heat in the engine bay. Try a starter heat shield, it can be found at www.mamotorworks.com

Thanks so very much! That was the problem! I have been waiting a year on the vw mechanic to get my car back to me and he had not tightened the wire to the starter.I had been driving it for 3 days and it stranded be 6 times. It was so frustrating! The car had sat up for 35 years, but is running great now and starting everytime, thanks to you.