available stereos?

Asked by Feb 03, 2007 at 07:51 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Beetle

I have a 71 super beetle that has no radio (and apparently never had one). The rectangular hole in the dahsboard is too small for "modern" size radios. Do you know of any stereos that fit with little or no further cutting?
Thanks, Horst

14,920

Hello Horst (riftia)-- Go to www.crutchfield.com. They have the equivalent of an original equipment radio for your car.(http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lHnPY2pqHhe/app/car/mycar.aspx) The important question is whther or not your car had the wiring harness installed when it was built. Most cars would have it even though the radio was never put in. You can tell by taking off the cover from where the radio should go. If you see a lot of wires, including one female connection, your car is wired. As for Crutchfield, my favorite aftermarket radio shop, there is a toll-free phone number on their site. If you call ask for Sparky and tell him I referred you. Good luck from Bovan.

45

I had my radio bay re-cut and a plate put in to make sure it did not sit up against the wiper motor- you could also try a marine radio as the specs are more variable than auto (also- you can get white etc faces)!