1970 vw beetle fuel pump issues

200

Asked by Jan 17, 2014 at 07:17 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

ok so i have replaced the fuel pump on my 1970 vw beetle 4 times, the first pump i couldn't get it to draw, took it back and got another one, still same issue, it will work for a little while then it will quit. next i got an electric one and it quit on me around the corner. put one of the mechanical pumps back in and it worked for 2 days and it quit on me again. i have a filter on both ends of the pump and they r always empty when the car dies. what is up with my car??  HELP

200

oh and i forgot to mention we put an cable through the steel part of the line and we cleaned the tank so there r no blockages

19,425

Well I hate to say it but it might be time to try a dealer pump.

200

actually i think it might be the tank isn't vented i disconnected the vent line from the tank. will have to drive it to see how it goes.

19,425

Let us know.

200

just went out and put my finger over the vent hole and blew into the line that goes on it and sure enough the tank is not vented proper. soon as i let my finger off the air came back out with force. so i will just run that vent line down to the ground.

19,425

See how it does.

200

ok i replaced the carb with the stock one and the mechanical pump was working for a while, the tank is vented correctly, it was running fine then the car died cuz the carb was empty but there was fuel in the lines, so i put an electric one on there and it pumped for about 15 min then stopped. i don't know what is wrong with my car. i can't keep fuel pumping to the carb.