1970 vw beetle backfires and dies after a few miles

180

Asked by Jan 16, 2014 at 08:35 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

i have recently been replacing everything on my 1970  1641cc vw beetles motor. i replaced the distributor, wires, and plugs, had a race mechanic set the points, i have a brand new empi 2 barrel carb,that was adjusted by the same guy.  it will start up fine and run good for a while then it will backfire and die. i was just pulled home by a family member and within the 10 minutes of it dieing i was pulled home and before we pushed it i figured to try it anyway and it fired right up. so i don't have a clue whats going on with it.

86,595

Sounds a condenser failure too me. Just because it is new doesn't mean that it is a good one.

18,445

Are you sure your not losing power from the ignition switch?

180

with as many issues i have had getting this car running right, i am open to all suggestions. i figure the condenser is the best place to start. i have never had issues with the switch. but i do have a brand new one to change it out if it turns out to be the problem. seems like every part i get for this car i have to take back and get another one cuz it don't work right. bought an electric fuel pump cuz for some reason my new one wasn't working. i got around the corner and it quit working, when i replaced the carb i had to get another one cuz the one i got was broke. seems like parts for these cars r made very poorly.

180

could there be anything else that could be causing this problem?

18,445

I would try it first but remember it gets power to everything from the ignition switch. It may be getting hot and losing contact inside itself.